French is one of the most widely used world languages. French is spoken in all corners of the world, and there are many French speakers in the South Pacific. From the first day, the French room is busy and quite noisy with everyone practising their French.
- French is spoken by more than 338 million people and is the official language in 29 countries, including our closest non-English speaking neighbour, New Caledonia.
- Knowing French will enhance travel experiences.
- French has cultural and historical links with English so students increase their knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary.
- France is a leader in science, technology, art, literature, fashion and cuisine.
- French is an official language of the United Nations and the Olympic Movement.
- Learning French helps prepare students for life in an increasingly global, interconnected world.
Year 9: French
French in Year 9 covers the following topics:
- Learn day-to-day conversations in French, e.g. times, dates and numbers, and take part in simple French conversations
- Learn to talk in French about yourself, your family, friends and pets, and understand when French people do the same
- Acquire first-hand knowledge of French food
- Learn about French life in general and Paris in particular
- Use ICT to play language games, practise your vocabulary, write essays and research aspects of French culture
Year 10: French
- French speaking countries
- School life
- Daily Routines
- Directions around town
- Describe home.
- Working together and individually
Year 11: French
- Sport, leisure and hobbies in France and in New Zealand
- School life in France and in New Zealand
- Travel and holidays in a French speaking region
- Talking about your family and family life in the French speaking world
- Food and eating out
- Shopping and French fashion icons
- Film and music
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of spoken French texts relating to areas of most immediate relevance.
- Give a spoken presentation in French that communicates a personal response.
- Interact using spoken French to communicate personal information, ideas and opinions in different situations.
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of written/visual French texts relating to areas of most immediate relevance.
- Write a variety of text types in French on areas of most immediate relevance.
Year 12: French
- School Life
- Young People
- The French speaking world
- Film and literature
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of spoken French texts on familiar matters
- Give a spoken presentation in French that communicates information, ideas and opinions
- Interact using French to share and justify information, ideas and opinions in different situations
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of written/visual French texts on familiar matters
- Write a variety of text types in French for genuine contexts
Year 13: French
- Poetry & short stories
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of extended spoken French texts
- Give a clear spoken presentation in French that communicates a critical response to the stimulus material
- Interact clearly using spoken French to explore and justify varied ideas and perspectives in different situations
- Demonstrate understanding of a variety of extended written/visual French texts
- Write a variety of text types in clear French to explore and justify varied ideas and perspectives