Students from all different backgrounds enjoy learning Te Reo Māori at Queen’s regardless of how much exposure they have had to the language prior to coming here. Students learn Te Reo Māori in our school whare Teowaina, in a kaupapa Māori environment.
Te Reo Māori
- Ko te reo te mauri o te mana Māori - the language is the very essence of being Māori.
- is the indigenous language of our country.
- is unique to Aotearoa and is what stands us apart from other countries
- has significant advantages in employment opportunities, eg. tourism, education, social work, law, health care, various government departments
- enables Māori and non-Māori students to find their place within our school.
Our Te Reo Māori course fosters each student’s ability to understand, speak, read and write Te Reo Māori. It introduces and reinforces a student’s understanding of Tikanga Māori, and exposes students to Te Ao Māori (the Māori world).
Year 9: Te Reo Māori
Te Reo Māori in Year 9 covers the following topics:
- Learn greetings, numbers, colours in Te Reo Māori
- Learn karakia and waiata/haka
- Learn about pōwhiri and basic Tikanga Māori
- Learn about whakapapa and to say your mihi confidently by the end of this course
Year 10: Te Reo Māori
- Past Events
- Past times and activities
- Kōrero / Speaking
- Whakarongo / Listening
- Tuhituhi / Writing
- Mātakitaki /Viewing
- Whakaatu / Presenting
Year 11: Te Reo Māori
- Tōku kura
- Hui Marae
- Tāngata Rongonui Māori
- Tōku whanau
- Te Ao Taiohi
- Kei te Kāinga
- Whakarongo kia mōhio ki te reo o tōna ao.
- Kōrero kia whakamahi i te reo o tōna ao.
- Pānui kia mōhio ki te reo o tōna ao.
- Tuhi i te reo o tōna ao.
- Waihanga tuhinga i te reo o tōna ao.
Year 12: Te Reo Māori
- Ngā korero a Nehera
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Ngā Mahi ā ringa
- Ngā whakapono
- Tangata Rongonui
- Te Ao Hurihuri
- Whakarongo kia mōhio ki te reo o te ao torotoro
- Kōrero kia whakamahi i te reo o te ao torotoro
- Pānui kia mōhio ki te reo o te ao torotoro
- Tuhi i te reo o te ao torotoro
- Whakamahi tuhinga auaha, i te reo o te ao torotoro
Year 13: Te Reo Māori
- Te Ao Hurihuri
- Ngā Mahi-a-ringa
- Ngā Korero O Neherā
- Te Tiriti O Waitangi
- Te Reo Rangatira
- Whakarongo kia mōhio ki te reo o te ao whānui
- Kōrero kia whakamahi i te reo Māori o te ao whānui
- Pānui kia mōhio ki te reo Māori o te ao whānui
- Tuhi i te reo Māori o te ao whānui
- Waihanga tuhinga whai take i te reo Māori o te ao whānui